FM Amateur Television Kits
The Mini-Kits FM ATV Kits have been very popular over many years due to the high quality video that they are able to produce. They are a large step up from the popular Comtek modules, and are used by many of the ATV Hams worldwide, and are popular for video linking or construction of FM ATV repeaters.
The EME23TX-ATV Kit is a complete solution for an ATV transmitter for the 1.2GHz 23cm band, and consists of a number of Kits including the EME154 FM Video Transmitter, EME231 Wide band PLL, EME161B SP5055 PLL Control, and EME158 Audio Sub carrier Kit. All hardware including the cable, connectors, LCD display module, switches, and rotary encoder Knob are included in the complete Kit. The 23cm transmitter can be used with the Mini-Kits Multiplier Kits for use on the higher 2.4 to 10GHz microwave bands. Some deterioration in picture quality is to be expected when multiplying up to the higher Microwave bands, especially 10GHz. This is due to the phase noise level of the 1250MHz transmitter, and the wide band SP5055 PLL which also multiply when using the Multiplier Kits.
1/ When using the EME161A with the PLL_TX12.ASM software there have been reports of the software locking up when trying to reprogram the frequencies using the push button. Mini-Kits confirms that the software is buggy, and can be locked up indefinitely, with repeated presses of the optional program button. For this reason, Mini-Kits does not recommend reprogramming the frequencies unless you are able to reprogram the PIC 12F629 if it locks up.
The construction is quite straight forward and many of the components are easily fitted with tweezers. The Kit construction notes and overlay diagrams should be carefully followed when constructing. For larger pictures to check orientation of some components click the images below. This Kit is a simple 4 channel PLL that has been designed around the SP5055 PLL IC which is popular in Satellite and TV tuners. The IC is a SMD type that has been mounted on the underside of the PC board and is able to work up to 2.8GHz. The Kit has been designed to be used with the EME153 and EME154 Video Transmitter Kits, but can be used with other VCO designs. An ERA MMIC is used as an amplifier to give up to +11dBm output. The software is pre programmed into a PIC 12F629 Micro controller that allows up to 4 fixed channels between 120 and 2600MHz. The software allows for retuning of the 4 channels to any frequency in this range with the addition of a single externally connected momentary switch. Please note: the PIC12F629 and 4 channel software is not used when this Kit is used with the EME161B SP5055 PLL Control Kit.
The EME161A is supplied with a PIC12F629 micro controller that is pre programmed with either the PLL_TX12 or PLL_TX24 software, that allows up to 4 pre-programmed channels to be selected. Please note that this software is buggy is the optional programming button is fitted, please refer to the PLL_TX12 Software documentation for further information.
This Kit is optional for the EME161A PLL Kit. The control kit can also be used with other products that use the SP5055 and TSA5055 PLL IC's. The Kit adds functionality to the basic EME161A PLL kit adding a EC12E rotary encoder for tuning control, memory channels, separate TX/RX VFO's, frequency offset, and band switching. The control board uses a PIC16F628 Micro controller and 16x2 LCD display module, to set all functions including menu settings. The display multiplier can be set to use the PLL with RF multipliers for bands up to 24GHz. The Synth Ver 2.x software is used on this Kit and comes complete with the EME23TX-ATV Kit.
The EME161B is supplied with a PIC16F628 micro controller that is pre programmed with the SYNTH Ver2.1 software, which allows full frequency control and functions including memory and band selection etc. Please refer to the SYNTH Ver2.1 Software documentation for further information.
The EME161A SP5055 PLL Kit is supplied with a PIC12F629 micro-controller pre-programmed with the PLL_TX12 software to suit a frequency range of 1150 to 1300MHz. The software allows up to 4 pre-programmed channels to be selected. Please refer to the PLL_TX12 Software documentation for further information. The PIC12F629 is removed from the board as it is not required when the EME161B controller is used.
We can also supply the EME161A SP5055 PLL Kit programmed with the PLL_TX24 software to suit 2300 to 2500MHz. The software allows up to 4 pre-programmed channels to be selected. Please refer to the PLL_TX24 Software documentation for further information. The PIC12F629 is removed from the board as it is not required when the EME161B controller is used.
The EME161B SP5055 Controller Kit is supplied with a PIC16F628 micro-controller pre-programmed with SYNTH Ver2.1 software. The software allows full control over frequency, including memories, LCD display etc. Please refer to the SYNTH Ver2.1 Software documentation for further information.
The SYNTH Ver2.1 Software is available for download on the website for a nominal price to cover the development, and for future software updates.
All settings can be changed in the menu setting screens that are displayed on the LCD module. The two push buttons along with the EME161B controller boards rotary encoder are used to change and memorize the menu settings into the PIC microcontroller.
Below are the standard specifications for the software supplied by Mini-Kits.
- Compatible with both the SP5055 and TSA5511 PLL chips. The software can only be used with the PIC 16F628/648 Micro-Controllers.
- PLL frequency range 100MHz to 2.8GHz ( SP5055 PLL Chip ).
- Frequency Steps of 125KHz with a reference frequency of 4.0MHz or 100 KHz with a reference of 3.2MHz. Steps multiply when used with the programmable display multiplier. The EME23TX-ATV Kit is supplied with the 3.2MHz crystal.
- Adjustable Step Size 125KHz, 250KHz, 500KHz, 1MHz, 1.25MHz, 2MHz, 2.5MHz, 4MHz, ( when on x1 display multiplier 4MHz crystal.
- TX / RX switching, with programmable offset of +/- 1Hz to 3.2GHz, ( Suitable for Repeater or I/F Offsets ).
- Display Multiplier 1 to 20x, ( multiplies all frequencies displayed on the LCD )
- Optional analogue Band Switching input, up to 5 bands including frequency and settings can be switched using an optional rotary switch.
- Memorizes the last VFO Memory frequency that showed on the LCD display on power up.
- Up to 22 Memory frequencies and settings can be programmed. Depends on what options have been programmed, e.g. RX only, RX/TX use, or RX/TX and Repeater etc ).
- Programmed to use a low cost EC12E Mechanical Rotary Encoder.
Please refer to the SYNTH Ver2.1 Software documentation for further information.
The complete Audio/Sub carrier circuitry is built on a single PC board measuring 65x36mm. The circuitry consists of audio pre-emphasis, preamplifier, and sub carrier oscillator, and is suitable for either microphone, or line input levels. The circuitry is based on previous designs but now includes a ceramic Band Pass filter to effectively attenuate harmonics of 5.5MHz providing a cleaner transmitter output. The oscillator is able to supply up to 4volts p-p output, and can be used on most FM or AM ATV transmitters. Optional Sub carrier frequencies are also available for 6.0 and 6.5MHz.
1. The EME23TX-ATV Transmitter can easily be used on the higher Microwave bands using the Mini-Kits Multiplier Kits. Some deterioration in picture quality is to be expected when multiplying up to the higher Microwave bands, especially 10GHz. This is due to the phase noise level of the 1250MHz transmitter and the wide band SP5055 PLL which also multiply when using a frequency multiplier. If the high phase noise is an issue, then the EME23TX-ATV transmitter can be converted up to a higher microwave band using a transmit up converter, or transverter.
2. The RF output level from the EME161A KIT may have to be reduced to around 0 to +3dBm using a resistor attenuator to suit many of the new multiplier Kits that use a Gali-39 multiplier.
3. When using with multipliers on the higher microwave bands, the Video deviation will need to be reduced. For use with the 3GHz EME101 Multiplier Kit, a 10dB 75ohm resistor attenuator needs to be fitted in line with the video input on the EME154 board. Look for a resistor attenuator calculator on the internet for the resistor values required.
1/ If you have a particular problem with a specific Kit then please refer to Kit Help web page for the links to the Kits more information.
2/ When using the EME161A with the PLL_TX12.ASM software there have been reports of the software locking up when trying to reprogram the frequencies using the push button. Mini-Kits confirms that the software is buggy, and can be locked up indefinitely, with repeated presses of the optional program button. For this reason, Mini-Kits does not recommend reprogramming the frequencies unless you are able to reprogram the PIC 12F629 if it locks up.